Saturday, January 8, 2011

Who Am I?

Name: Emily Blake
What year? Senior
E-Mail: eblake89@gmail.com


  • Where are you from? Maitland, Fla.
  • Why did you come to the University of Florida? I grew up a die-hard Seminole fan (both of my parents went to FSU). However, after researching public universities with the best journalism programs, UF was the most impressive one I found for which I didn't have to pay out-of-state tuition.
  • Major? Journalism
  • Why are you taking this course (besides the fact it is required)? I want to learn how to improve my editing skills, especially in a changing world dominated by the Internet.
  • Outside interests, hobbies, avocations, things you love to do? I love traveling and running. After I graduate, I plan on backpacking across Europe in May, going to Italy, France, England and Ireland.
  • Tell me one interesting thing about you – something that makes you unique. I love to run. I did the New York City Marathon in 2008, and I plan to do more marathons in the future.
  • Are you the first person in your family to attend a university? No.
  • On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being top-notch, how would you rate your knowledge of grammar, punctuation and AP style? 8 or 9.
  • On the same scale, how would you rate your skills with working with InDesign and PhotoShop and with online media in general? 6
  • What online skills do you feel you are proficient at? HTML, CSS.
  • Where do you get most of your news? Newspaper websites, primarily The New York Times. I also read the print version of The Times almost every day.
  • What books are you reading and have read in the last three months? I am currently reading "Play It as It Lays" by Joan Didion. In the past three months, I have read "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman, and "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin.
  • Career Goals? Be specific as possible. Elaborate a bit. Ideally I would like to be an editor at a larger magazine. Ever since I started seriously running six years ago, it has been my dream to work at Runner's World. If I can't find a job at a magazine, I'd like to work for a larger news website such as The Huffington Post.
  • What magazines, newspapers and news Web sites do you read regularly? The New York Times, Runner's World, The Huffington Post, Rolling Stone, The Onion, Vogue
  • What is your favorite Web site? For news websites, definitely The New York Times. They have some of the best online media projects in the industry such as videos, interactive graphics, etc.
  • Do you blog? Not yet, but I plan to!
  • Do you have any media/communication experience? If so, what? Yes, I was the copy desk chief at The Independent Florida Alligator. I have had one reporting internship at The North Florida Herald. I have had two copy editing internships, one at The Orlando Sentinel and one at The New York Times (through the Dow Jones News Fund).
  • Are you pursuing a media related internship or job at this time? I will be interning on the copy desk of The Seattle Times this summer.
  • Do you have an updated resume in your files? Yes.

1 comment:

  1. copy desk of The Seattle Times?? I use to work on that desk. !!

    ReplyDelete