Saturday, April 16, 2011

Blog No. 7

The future of the journalism industry has been a constant topic of conversation since I enrolled at UF. I always it was a very unclear future, but after these past two weeks' readings have shown me that in order to avoid what some consider an inevitable death, there needs to be dramatic changes.

The person who made the most impact on my opinion was John Nichols. Before watching the video, I would have never thought government-run media would be a good idea. In my mind, media should be totally separate from government to avoid corruption and bias. However, after hearing his argument, I must agree that perhaps government-run media is the only way to keep the industry alive.

The more I thought about it, the more I think the arguments of old-school media idealists have no ground. With the Internet thrown into the equation, it seems nearly impossible to charge people for information. When information spreads faster than wildfire, it's not feasible to expect people to pay for it. As Nichols puts it, "information cannot be caged and it cannot be stopped."

No comments:

Post a Comment